Islander Middle School Enrichment Grants Program
One Application, Several Funding Sources: The IMS PTSA and the Mercer Island Schools Foundation (MISF) invite teachers, staff and counselors to submit grant proposals using the Mercer Island Schools Universal Enrichment Grant Application. Applications will be reviewed by the IMS Co-Principals and referred to various funding sources including IMS PTSA, MISF, ASB and the Mercer Island School District.
IMS PTSA Enrichment and Supplemental Grants Program
The Islander Middle School PTSA Enrichment Grants program supports activities and programs that enhance and enrich student learning experiences while building our IMS community.
IMS PTSA Enrichment and Supplemental Grant Goals:
- Create community
- Enrich curriculum
- Recognize Teachers and Staff
- Improve the building, making IMS a comfortable place for community
IMS PTSA Enrichment and Supplemental Grant Considerations:
- Benefit to IMS community
- Number of students and/or grades benefited
- Relevance to curriculum enhancement
- Demonstrated need – not a school or district responsibility
- Amount requested
- Funds available
IMS PTSA Enrichment and Supplemental Grants Submission:
- All teachers, staff, PTSA members and students are eligible to submit an IMS PTSA Enrichment and Supplemental Grant request via the Universal Enrichment Grant Application.
- Enrichment and Supplemental Grant requests shall be submitted in writing and shall be reviewed by IMS Administrative staff prior to submission to the IMS PTSA Grant Committee.
- Submissions should articulate: a reliable estimate of cost and intended outcome for students and/or staff. Enrichment/Supplemental Grants should be for items not already budgeted by IMS and not otherwise funded through the Mercer Island Schools Foundation.
- Each award must be approved by the IMS PTSA Grant Committee. Requests under $1000 may be approved by Grant Committee consensus. Requests $1000 and over shall be presented to the IMS PTSA Board of Directors for approval.
- Some Enrichment/Supplemental Grant requests may not be approved. Reasons for non-approval may include amount of grant request, supplanting of district or school responsibility, and not meeting the intent of the IMS PTSA Enrichment and Supplemental Grant Goals.
- After the grant is approved by the IMS PTSA Board of Directors, the Grant Committee will communicate decision to the applicant.
Although not a prerequisite for submitting a grant request, membership in the IMS PTSA is encouraged. If you wish to submit a grant request and are not yet a PTSA member, you can Join IMS PTSA or get a membership form from the front office.
Mercer Island Schools Foundation Enrichment Grants Program
The Mercer Island Schools Foundation Universal Grant Fund shall be distributed to programs that enrich the curriculum of the Mercer Island public schools. The intent of the Universal Grant Fund is to fund innovative projects and programs at the individual classroom level. The Foundation will award grants that follow the Grant Information guidelines in a unique way, getting kids out of their seats, their classroom, working in a different format, materials or technology. Grants cannot exceed $3,000.
- Grants should be used to enhance the learning experience in ways that will bring the subject matter to life: hands-on projects, connections to real-world examples, and new creative and critical thinking challenges for students that promote innovation. Grants may be made for specific classroom initiatives or whole grade-level initiatives.
- Submissions should articulate: the item(s) requested; project/item description; benefit to IMS community; an itemized, reliable estimate of cost. Grants are made for those items not already budgeted by IMS and not otherwise funded through the Mercer Island Schools Foundation or other IMS PTSA budget items.
How Many Grants Will be Awarded?
The specific number of grants awarded will be determined both by the number of applications received and the priorities of the program. Preference will be given to submissions that benefit students most directly, and/or benefit as many students as possible.
Instructions to Apply
- Download Universal Grant Application and turn in to IMS Co-Principals.
- Introductory Letter from Mercer Island Schools Foundation
- MISF Submission Deadline Friday, October 6, 2017
- IMS PTSA Enrichment and Supplemental Grants Program – Complete Information (PDF)
- IMS PTSA Submission Deadline: Friday, October 6, 2017 and thereafter, as the need arises during the school year. If you have a great idea to enrich our students’ educational experience, please apply!
Grant Award Process:
- The IMS Co-Principals will review grant applications and refer those that are appropriate for funding by the IMS PTSA or by the MISF.
- MISF will review referred Enrichment Grant applications. Notification of grant awards are typically announced by Thanksgiving Break.
- IMS PTSA Grants Committee will review referred Enrichment Grant applications and make selections based on the IMS PTSA Enrichment and Supplemental Grants criteria. IMS PTSA Board of Directors will make final approval and applicant will be notified. Funds may be disbursed immediately for use any time during the school year.
Purchasing, Reimbursement, Failure to use award:
- The list of approved IMS PTSA Enrichment and Supplemental Grant awards will be given to the PTSA Treasurers and they will pay all approved expenses.
- If an award is not used by June 30th then the amount awarded shall revert back to the use of the PTSA unless otherwise agreed upon by the PTSA.
Please let us know if you have any questions or if we can help in any way.